Let’s face it, men: we’ve all been through an awkward moment or two when we realized that, despite the immediate need for a professional appearance, we had no idea how to properly tie a tie. Whether it was your first day at a new job, an impromptu trip to a fancy restaurant or last minute preparations for a wedding, you know just how frustrating getting that perfect Windsor knot can be.
If you’re in need of your first great tie knot, first hand instructions are likely your best bet; if first hand instructions aren’t readily available, allow us to walk you through how to tie a tie with a Windsor knot in seven simple steps:
1. Drape the tie around your nect with the wide end extending about 12 inches below the narrow end of the tie, then cross the wide part over the narrow part.
2. Pull the wide end of the tie through the hole between your collar and tie, then pull it down toward your front.
3. Pull the wide end of the tie behind the narrow end and to the right.
4. Pull the wide end of the tie back through the loop, creating a triangle shape where your know will soon be.
5. Wrap the wide end of the tie around the triangle, pulling from right to left, and bring the wide end up through your loop for a third and final time.
7. Pull the wide end through the knot, then simultaneously tighten the know while centering it with both hands to ensure good placement.